Thank you for your interest in contacting Radiology Schools 411. We regret that we cannot offer personalized advising or guidance to individuals. If you have additional questions that are not addressed in our FAQs below or elsewhere on our site, the best point of contact is typically the medical imaging licensing agency for the state in which you wish to work or the admissions offices of colleges or universities that offer programs in your desired field.

    If you are a representative from a school or organization and would like to submit a question or comment about our resources or work with us, you can email us at info@radiologyschools411.com or write to us at:

    Radiology Schools 411
    14419 Greenwood Ave N
    PMB #233
    Seattle, WA 98133

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Below you will find answers to some of our visitors’ most frequently asked questions, sorted by inquiries related to becoming licensed as a rad tech, finding radiologic technology programs, careers in radiologic technology, and international applicants.

    Becoming Licensed as a Rad Tech

    What do I need to do to be licensed as a radiologic technologist?

    In order to become licensed as a rad tech, the first step is typically completing a formal education at an accredited school. In most cases, this will be undertaken as part as an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. Many states also require prospective radiologic technologists to pass a credentialing exam, such as that offered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. Your state’s agency tasked with medical imaging licensing, which is typically the department of health or the department of radiation safety, will have further information on the requirements.

    How can I add a modality to my RT license?

    In most states, adding modalities to an existing RT license is based on completing approved continuing or advanced education in the new practice area and/or passing a national certification exam. Please contact your state’s agency in charge of licensing for medical imaging professionals for more information on requirements.

    Finding Radiologic Technology Programs

    Can you send me a list of programs that meet my specific needs?

    We do not maintain lists of programs other than those that are publicly available on our site. You can visit our home page to find a directory of radiologic technology schools by state. The National Center for Education Statistics College Navigator is another resource that allows you to find programs sorted by multiple criteria.

    How can I enroll in your programs?

    As an informational resource, we do not offer courses or programs. For more information on your options, please reach out to colleges and universities that suit your needs and interests. Many schools offer informational sessions throughout the year that can help you determine whether a given program is a fit for your needs and goals.

    Careers in Radiologic Technology

    How do I become a radiologic technologist?

    The first step to becoming a radiologic technologist in most states is earning an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in radiologic technology or a closely-related modality. Earning a passing score on the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) exam or a similar exam is also a common requirement. However, the requirements vary according to the field, the standards of the geographic area where you wish to work, and the policies of individual hiring departments and agencies. For an overview of requirements for rad techs by state, see our guide to radiologic technology programs. Further information can be obtained by visiting the website of the licensing agency for the state in which you would like to work, contacting hiring organizations in your desired field, or by browsing jobs boards like ours for common requirements.

    Can I still work in medical imaging if I have a criminal record?

    Since policies vary by state and by license type, we recommend checking the website of the appropriate licensing agency for the state in which you would like to work for information on guidelines and policies concerning rad tech licensing for applicants with criminal charges on their background histories. Note that many schools require applicants to complete a background check prior to admittance to the program and/or clinical experience rotations due to state-level health department rules.

    I am about to graduate and am still not sure what I can do with my degree – where can I go for more information?

    Congratulations! An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in medical imaging is the first step towards a professional career in radiologic technology. You can begin researching radiologic technology careers by education level through our career guide. For more personalized guidance and access to further resources, we suggest reaching out to your professors and your school’s career center or alumni office.

    International Applicants

    If I am overseas, can I still take courses from you?

    We are not a school or affiliated with any particular programs, and we do not offer courses or programs. For more information on your options and eligibility as a foreign student, please reach out to colleges and universities that suit your needs and interests.

    If I am not a US citizen, can I still work in the radiologic technology field in the US?

    Requirements for US citizenship vary according to the policies of the hiring agency. Permanent resident status or a US green card are common requirements for licensing as well as hiring. To learn more about your licensing options as a foreign national, visit the website of the appropriate licensing agency for rad techs in the state in which you’d like to work to find specific requirements.